Thursday, November 26, 2009

Week of November 23rd - Vygotsky

What is learning?

I feel like all of these learning theories blur together. They all have unique aspects to them, yet they all seem so similar. If I was going to be a learning theorist and do research and conduct studies to come up with my own learning theory, I wouldn't have any idea what my topic would be. It seems that everything has been covered. Yet, we have only learned about a few of the main educational theories that are out there. The synthesis of all of them is that learning cannot be "spoon-fed," "pored into your brain," etc. Knowledge has to be acquired and metamorphosed into learning by some action, discovery, or problem solution.

Teacher Effectuated?

This class has definitely opened my eyes to how students learn. Typical math classes are taught in very routine, teacher-centered ways. I scaffold a lot of what I do: explanation, guided practice, independent practice with support, homework without support. However, the way I teach is not really engaging the students in the way that any of these theories suggest. On a regular daily basis, I am not encouraging my students to discover anything or solve problems above and beyond what it is they are learning. Although I have high expectations for what they do and how well they achieve, perhaps I am not providing them with the best learning environment possible. I think I am a good teacher, but if I could incorporate more of what I have learned in this class, I think I could be a great teacher!

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean. Though each week's lesson plan and learning theory has been so interesting and valuable, I know that I am going to have a difficult time keeping them all straight. I think that I am going to have to create a visual way for me to remember all of them in a specific order. And yes, I don't think knowledge can be spoon fed into their brain. They need to take the opportunities we give them as teachers and learn it in a way that makes it stay.... good thoughts.
    Derek

    ReplyDelete