Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Week 11 - Case-based Learning

What is learning?

Learning has many faces and case-based learning is yet another to add to it. I still stand by one of my original statements that learning involves actively acquiring knowledge and being able to apply it. Learning can happen in a variety of ways. Putting knowledge is case-story situations will work well for many people.

How can learning be best effectuated by the teacher?

Again, learning has many faces and although most strategies are good, variety is best. All students learn differently and what works well for one may not be quite as successful for another. Similarly, what you think won't work for you, may work wonders for a student. We can't be afraid to try different situations. I often get stuck in the rut of my routine in my class and forget or don't have time to plan more interesting activities. My goal in the next couple of weeks is to actually use the lesson plan I've written this week and work on a few others.

3 comments:

  1. I think you have said it best by saying that "variety is best." Every now and then I think, this theory is how I learn. But we have to remember that each student is different and learns differently.

    Great thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. definitely it is important to use a variety of techniques, also in the design of computer-based courseware...are there particular areas of your curriculum for which you can see case-based learning as working the best?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with the others. What works for one student doesn't work for all so it is important we teach with a variety of theories. Just the exposure to all these different theories is making me a better teacher because it is causing me think about how and what I teach.

    ReplyDelete